WhatsApp for Android will officially get backup or restore choices (a private backup) of your chat history, voice messages, photos, and videos in Google Drive throughout the following couple of months. Google Drive in a blog entry reported the news and affirmed that the new component will permit clients to backup chat history such as voice messages, photographs, and recordings in Google Drive.
Scott Johnston, Director of Product Management Google Drive has now officially announced the feature. He wrote, “Starting today, WhatsApp for Android lets you create a private backup of your chat history, voice messages, photos, and videos in Google Drive. And once you do, you can restore everything on a new device with just a couple taps.
“The new backup feature is rolling out over the next few months, so keep an eye on your WhatsApp settings to see if it’s available,” he further added.
The official blog post stated that it would take few months for the Google Drive backup feature available to all users on Android. The post does not mention when the feature will be made available for iOS edition of WhatsApp. The new backup feature is expected to soon arrive for iOS and other platforms.
How to use Google Drive backup on WhatsApp for Android?
You can back up your messages and media to Google Drive so that if you lose your phone or switch to another Android phone, your chats are safe. We recommend connecting your phone to Wi-Fi prior to backing up your chats via Google Drive, as backup files may vary in size and may consume mobile data, causing additional charges.
The Step to follow are as under :
- Go to WhatsApp > Menu Button > Settings > Chats and calls > Chat backup > Back up to Google Drive and set up the backup frequency as per your choice.
- You will be prompted to select a Google account that you will back up your chat history to. If you do not have a Google account, tap Add account when prompted. Please remember the Google account you are using for the backup.
- Go to Back up over to choose the network you wish to use for backup. You can also manually back up your chats to Google Drive at any time, by using above said option.
Restoring from a Google Drive backup
In order to successfully restore a Google Drive backup, you need to use the same phone number and Google account used to create the back up. Then, follow these steps to restore your backup:
- Install the Whatsapp latest app
- After verifying your number, you will be prompted to restore your messages and media from Google Drive.
- Make sure the same Google account that was used to perform the backup has been added to your phone.
- Once the restoration process is complete, go to Next and your chats will be displayed once initialization is complete.
- After restoring your chats, WhatsApp will begin restoring your media files.
Note: If you are installing WhatsApp without any prior backups from Google Drive, WhatsApp will automatically restore from your locally stored backup files. Please note that backing up over cellular may result in additional data charges.